Thursday, March 11, 2010

Still Life - Fruits

Acrylic on Canvas, 16 x 20, This painting was one of my first attempts at still life. I found no matter how hard I tried couldn't get the photo realism I'd hoped for. What I got instead was an abstract surreal looking piece, that pushed color complements & broke more than a few compositional rules of design and perspective. The watermelon appears to be floating in suspended animation, as does the cantalope only half grounded on the table. Half of the apple fades away into the darkness. I used black gesso for the background which I'm told should never be done! But I liked it, so I did it anyway! I felt during the painting process that it helped pop the middle & foreground areas. For all that may be right or wrong about this piece, I'm satisfied with the end result. That's the back story behind this painting!

No comments: